Prep and cooking time: 30 minutes
2 cans black beans (recommendation: Eden Organics), rinsed and drained well
2 Tbs coconut oil or ghee
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup of tomatoes, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (omit seeds for less spicy)
1 tsp ground cumin
2 1/2 cups of water
1 bunch of fresh cilantro (4 Tbs chopped cilantro for the soup) Reserve the rest of cilantro for pesto
*Note: If you prefer to use dry black beans, soak overnight, drain and rinse and then cook according to instructions on package.
- Heat oil or ghee on medium heat in a pot.
- Add onion, garlic and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeño, beans, cumin and water.
- Bring to boil, then switch to low heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, puree soup while in pot, or using a kitchen blender, puree in batches using caution.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve in bowls and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.